Who was born today? …
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
Established on 16th November 1945, UNESCO's headquarters are in Paris, France.
The UNESCO is a specialized agency of the United Nations. Its stated purpose is to contribute to peace and security by promoting international collaboration through education, science, and culture in order to further universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and the human rights along with fundamental freedoms proclaimed in the UN Charter.
UNESCO has 193 Member States and seven Associate Member States. It is governed by the General Conference and the Executive Board. The Secretariat, headed by the Director-General, implements the decisions of these two bodies.
The General Conference establishes the Organization's goals and priorities every two years and sets the budget. The Executive Board meets twice a year to follow programme implementation.
UNESCO has its headquarters in Paris. It is housed in an outstanding, Modernist building inaugurated in 1958 and recently renovated. The Organization also has more than 50 field offices around the world.
Most of the field offices are "cluster" offices covering three or more countries; there are also national and regional offices.
UNESCO achieves it's objectives through five main areas :
- Natural sciences
- Social and human sciences
- Communication and information.
UNESCO sponsored projects include:
- Technical and teacher-training programmes
- International science programmes
- Promotion of independent media and freedom of the press
- Regional and cultural history projects
- The promotion of cultural diversity
- World Heritage Sites
- Preserve human rights
- Attempts to bridge the worldwide digital divide.
Also Born Today were:
- 42 BC – Tiberius, Roman emperor.
- 1841 – Jules Violle, French physicist and inventor.
- 1873 – W. C. Handy, Blues composer, cornet player, band leader and publisher.
- 1890 – Elpidio Quirino, 6th president of the Philippines.
- 1899 – Mary Margaret McBride, American radio interview host and writer.
- 1905 – Eddie Condon, Jazz banjoist, guitarist, and band leader.
- 1907 – Burgess Meredith. American actor.
- 1914 – Eddie Chapman, British World War II spy and double agent, aka Agent Zigzag.
- 1941 – Gerry Marshall, British racing car driver.
- 194? – Tony Croft, My ex-boss.
- 1946 – Barbara Leigh, American actress.
- 1953 – Griff Rhys Jones, Welsh comedian, writer and actor.
- 1958 – Mary Margaret Helgenberger, American film and television actress.
- 1961 – Frank Bruno, English former boxer.
- 1962 – Gary 'Mani' Mounfield, English rock bassist, in bands, Primal Scream and The Stone Roses.
- 1967 – Eva Pope, British actress.
- 1971 – Aleksandr Vladimirovich Popov, Former Russian swimmer
- 1972 – Andrea Kay 'Missi' Pyle, American actress.
- 1974 – Paul Scholes, English football player.
- 1977 – Gigi Edgley, Australian actress and recording artist.
Know any more that were born today, or where you born today, post a comment below.
Quote of the day:
'Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them.'
(384 BC-322 BC)