In the early 1960s, Human computer interaction pioneer Doug Engelbart invented the first computer mouse while working at the Stanford Research Institute.
He patented it on the 17th November 1970.
The mouse was so called because of its resemblance to the small rodent.
Doug's mouse was made out of a wooden box and two wheels. The rotation of each wheel was translated into motion along an axis, and this information was sent to the computer to show the mouse's position.
What is the correct plural of a computer "mouse"? Is it Mice or Mouses?
Who was born Today in History?:
- 0009 – Vespasian, Roman Emperor.
- 0331 – Flavius Claudius Julianus, [Julian the Apostate], emperor.
- 1502 – Atahualpa, last Emperor of the Inca.
- 1503 – Il Bronzino, Florentine painter.
- 1729 – Maria Antonietta of Spain, Queen of Sardinia.
- 1755 – Louis XVIII, 1st post-revolutionary King of France.
- 1808 – Alberich Zwyssig, composer.
- 1837 – Willem Coenen, composer.
- 1859 – Gerhard Rusenkrone Schjelderup, composer.
- 1891 – Guido Pannain, composer.
- 1892 – Max Deutsch, composer.
- 1901 – Joyce Wethered, Surrey England, golfer (4 time British Amateur champ).
- 1901 – Max Zehnder, composer.
- 1901 – Raymond Chevreuille, Belgian composer.
- 1903 – Joseph Kaminski, composer.
- 1905 – Arthur Chipperfield, Australian cricketer.
- 1905 – Astrid Bernadotte, Princess of Sweden.
- 1911 – William Tannen, NYC, actor (Jailhouse Rock, Sitting Bull).
- 1923 – Bert Sutcliffe, New Zealand cricketer.
- 1925 – Rock Hudson, Winnetka, actor (Pillow Talk, A Farewell to Arms).
- 1934 – Fenella Fielding, English actress.
- 1937 – Peter Edward Cook, Torquay England, actor/comedian (Bedazzled).
- 1940 – Luke Kelly, Irish folk music singer and banjo player.
- 1944 – Danny DeVito, Actor, Director and Producer.
- 1946 – Martin Barre, British pop guitarist (Jethro Tull).
- 1951 – Dean Paul Martin, actor (Billy-Misfits of Science).
- 1957 – Debbie Thrower, BBC News Reader.
- 1959 – Terry Fenwick, English footballer.
- 1960 – Jonathan Ross, British talk show host.
- 1968 – Amber Michaels, German porn actress.
- 1970 – Paul Allender, British guitarist (Cradle of Filth).
- 1973 – Bernd Schneider, German footballer.
- 1975 – Lord Infamous, Rapper.
Know any more that were born today, or where you born today, post a comment below.
Quote of the day:
'A wise player ought to accept his throws and score them, not bewail his luck.'
(496 BC-406 BC)