On the 18th November, 1928, Mickey Mouse appeared for the first time in the cartoon…. …
On the 18th November, 1928, Mickey Mouse appeared for the first time in the cartoon, 'Steamboat Willie'. It was the first successful sound-synchronized animated cartoon film produced by Walt Disney and was first seen at the Colony Theater in New York.
Some Mickey Mouse Facts:
- Mickey Mouse is undoubtedly the most famous of the Disney characters.
- Mickey starred in over 120 different cartoons.
- He also starred in "The Mickey Mouse Club" television show of the 1950s.
- Mickey Mouse's original drawings used circles for his head, body and ears.
- In the 1939's "The Pointer" we saw a, new design for Mickey. His body became more pear-shaped and pupils were added to his eyes.
- Animators of the 1940's added a perspective aspect to his ears, giving them a 3D effect, but not for long.
- The Mickey Mouse of today appears much as he did in the early days with the exception of some costume changes.
- Originally, Mickey's voice was that of Walt Disney himself. Later, his voice was that of by Jim MacDonald.
- Today Wayne Allwine provides Mickey's unique voice.
- Mickey has appeared on thousands of products.
- Mickey has the esteemed title of Chief Greeter at the Disney theme parks across the world.
Who was born Today in History?:
- 1522 – Lamoral, Count of Egmont, Flemish general and statesman.
- 1527 – Luca Cambiaso, Italian painter/sculptor.
- 1630 – Eleanor Gonzaga, Empress of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1774 – Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands.
- 1785 – David Wilkie, British artist (d. 1841)
- 1786 – Henry Rowley Bishop, British composer/conductor.
- 1787 – Sojourner Truth, abolitionist/feminist.
- 1787 – Louis-Jacques Daguerre, French inventor and photographer.
- 1832 – Adolf Erik Nordenskiold, Swedish explorer.
- 1836 – William Schwenck Gilbert, London, composer.(Gilbert & Sullivan)
- 1856 – Nikolai Nikolaevich Romanov, Grand Duke of Russia.
- 1860 – Ignacy Jan Paderewski, composer/1st premier of Poland.
- 1863 – Richard Dehmel, writer.
- 1871 – Amadeo Vives, composer.
- 1874 – Carrie White, oldest US woman (died Nov 1990 at 116).
- 1882 – Wyndham Lewis, English author/painter (Tarr, Apes of God).
- 1897 – Patrick M S Blackett, British physicist (nuclear reaction, Nobel 1948).
- 1898 – Oswald Erich Sehlbach, composer.
- 1909 – Johnny Mercer, USA, lyricist (Moon River, Old Black Magic).
- 1920 – Louis Alfred Mennini, composer.
- 1920 – Mustafa Khalil, Prime Minister of Egypt.
- 1923 – Alan B Shepard Jr, USA, Astronuat.Apollo 14.
- 1925 – William Robert Mayer, composer.
- 1928 – Mickey Mouse, cartoon character.
- 1929 – William Joseph "Pete" Knight, astronaut/test pilot (X-15).
- 1939 – Margaret E Atwood, author/poet.
- 1940 – Qaboos bin Sa’id, Sultan of Oman.
- 1941 – David Hemmings, Guilford England, actor (Blow-up, Barbarella).
- 1948 – Ural Nazibovich Sultanov, Russian cosmonaut.
- 1953 – Alan Moore, British comic book writer and novelist.
- 1959 – Jimmy Quinn, Northern Irish footballer and football manager.
- 1960 – Kim Wilde, (Smith), England, rock vocalist (You Keep Me Hanging On).
- 1962 – Vladimir Vladimirovich Karashtin, Russian cosmonaut.
- 1980 – Luke Chadwick, English footballer.
- 1985 – Christian Siriano, American fashion designer.
Know any more that were born today?, or were you born today?, post a comment below.
Quote of the day:
'A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds..'
(1561 – 1626)