….. watch the video…….. …
On the 25th November, 1984 – The 44 group members of Band Aid which was founded by Bob Geldof, to help raise money to assist famine stricken Ethiopia, recorded the single 'Do They Know Its Christmas' in a London studio.
Also on this day:
- 1952 – The Whodunit The Mousetrap written by Agatha Christie opened in London at the Ambassadors Theatre in London's West End. It went on to be the longest running play in history with 20,000 performances in London's West End, It is still running today having moved to a St Martins Theatre in 1974.
- 1960 – Scottish Parliament met in order to protect the alleged existence of the Loch Ness Monster. It was reported that a group of young English men were planning to drop homemade bombs into the water in order to bring the Loch Ness creature to the surface. This would result in the capture of the beast for further study. J.R. Johnstone, the Chief constable of the County of Inverness supported scientific study of this mysterious creature. However he did not support bombing it in the process, if it did exist.
- Every Year – November 25th is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S.A.
Who was born Today in History?:
- 1454 – Catherine Cornaro, Queen of Cyprus.
- 1638 – Catherine of Braganza, Queen of Charles II of England.
- 1655 – Charles XI, King of Sweden.
- 1737 – Christian Friedrich Penzel, composer.
- 1741 – Johann Christian Frischmuth, composer.
- 1752 – Johann Friedrich Reichardt, composer.
- 1843 – Henry Ware Eliot American industrialist, philanthropist and the father of T. S. Eliot.
- 1844 – Karl F Benz, German designer/auto manufacturer.
- 1856 – Sergei Ivanovich Taneyev, Russia, composer (Oresteia).
- 1862 – Ethelbert Woodbridge Nevin, composer.
- 1874 – Joe Gans, American boxer.
- 1880 – Leonard S Woolf, English author/husband of Virginia Woolf.
- 1900 – Arthur Schwartz, composer (Girl from Paris, Excuse my Dust).
- 1907 – John Stuart Hindmarsh, British racing driver and aviator.
- 1919 – Ricardo Montalban, USA, actor (Fantasy Island, Star Trek II, Naked Gun).
- 1919 – Steve Brodie, Eldorado USA, actor (Life & Legend of Wyatt Earp).
- 1920 – Tuanku Syed Putra ibni Almarhum Syed Hassan Jamalullail, King of Malaysia.
- 1943 – Roy Lynes, rocker (Status Quo).
- 1944 – Ben Stein, American actor.
- 1969 – Jacqueline Hennessy, Edmonton, actress (Dead Ringers).
- 1979 – Thea Gilmore, British songwriter.
- 1981 – Barbara and Jenna Bush (twin daughters of U.S. president George W. Bush).
- 1983 – Joey Chestnut, American champion competitive eater.
- 1983 – Kirsty Crawford, Scottish singer/songwriter.
- 1986 – Craig Gardner, English footballer
- 1986 – Amber Hagerman, American kidnapping and murder victim, basis of the Amber Alert system.
- 1990 – Yasmin van der Meer, 15 millionth Netherlander
Know any more that were born today?, or were you born today?, post a comment below.
Quote of the day:
'The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.'
Oliver Wendell Holmes
(1809 – 1894)